Tuesday, September 6, 2011

TECH N9NE


BEHIND THE CLOWN

Rarely do face paint and hardcore rap seamlessly fit together, but for Kansas City’s Tech N9ne, it’s been his steez for the past two decades. The self-proclaimed ‘weirdo rapper’ executes rhymes about fallen angels and other dark lyrical content that sets him worlds apart from other emcees. It’s not all about bling, bitches or Bentleys- he spits lyrics like he’s narrating a horror film. Combing tricky word play, melodic hooks and incredibly speedy rap, Tech’s unique style murders the competition. However, the most impressive thing about Tech N9ne is not his music, but his work ethic.
“I’ve been dicked around so many times by major labels for years. I’ve been through a lot of record deals and nobody could do what I wanted,“ Tech says. “Who better to do you than you!?“
Withstanding the immense pressure to sign with a major label, he could have taken the easy route. Instead, he decided to keep it local and started Strange Music Inc., a label that defines the word ‘independent.’ Run by manager Travis O’Guin and Tech, Strange Music Inc. has put out seven Tech N9ne albums and in September 2008, sales crossed the 1 million mark without the aid of major label bigwigs, video or radio.
“We can do it better than anybody. Even with my clown face painted and everybody calling me crazy, I would still be number one if I had all those executives backing me,” Tech states. “But until we play their game, we’re going to continue blowing this underground up.”
If Tech N9ne’s Rock the Bells performance in Colorado this August was any indication of his intentions to keep being the king of the underground, then all hail Tech. The energy exuded from fellow emcees Krizz Kaliko and Kutt Calhoun was so infectious that it ricocheted throughout the entire crowd until people were literally jumping out of their seats. From “Einstein” to “Caribou Lou,” Tech kept the momentum going by balancing old classics and new singles.
K.O.D., Tech’s fifth solo album is slated for release on October 27. It contains some of his most sinister material to date which he really struggled with both during and after the recording process.
“This album is different because on past releases, there were only sections of darkness. This one is completely dark,” he says. “I had no idea the negative energy would effect me like it did. I was deep in a hole. It had me sulking and falling out with everybody around me.”
While the music is beautifully composed, the ominous nature of each track is painfully clear. The bulk of the lyrics touch on his mother’s illness, spiritual doubt and the constant internal struggle with his own demons.
“I made a mistake. I’ll never make an album like this again,” he confesses. “On the next one, I’m going to try to keep it light.”
In the meantime, Tech is rolling three tour busses deep on this round in support of K.O.D. Label mates Slaughterhouse, Stevie Stone and newest addition, Big Scoob, join the entourage to continue climbing towards international recognition.
“When I go to these smalls towns and nobody knows who I am, that’s when I feel like I still have a lot of work to do,” he says. “My goal is to get my music to the rest of the world. I will tread every piece of this earth until I do it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment