Tuesday, September 6, 2011

WIZ KHALIFA


SCUMBAG MILLIONAIRE
Rags to Riches For Rapper Wiz Khalifa


“I would never battle rap anyone for 100K, I’d rather do a show for 100K,” rapper Wiz Khalifa says with a chuckle. While that may sound like a big order, it’s not out of the question. The 23-year-old rap prodigy has graced the March cover of XXL Magazine, was named MTV’s Hottest Breakthrough MC of 2010 and is selling out every show on the current “Waken Baken Tour“ with Southern rapper, Yelawolf. The “young wizzle’s” newfound notoriety, however, is not a fluke.
“This has been more like a grass root movement I’ve been working on for a long time,” Khalifa says. I put out my first mix tape when I was 16. I’ve been on a constant grind and building a real fan base. It’s finally paying off. Since I was a kid, I‘ve been making the best out of nothing.”
With his mother and father both in the military, Khalifa bounced around quite often. Born in North Dakota, but raised in Pittsburgh, he has lived all over the world-from Germany to Japan. While this did not necessarily affect his musical style, it opened his eyes to other cultures.
“Moving around a lot didn’t really affect my music, but it definitely helped me out more as a person,” he reflects. “I learned everywhere I lived.”
His stage name is derived from the Arabic word ‘khalifa’ meaning ‘successor’ and ‘wisdom.’ Wisdom was then shortened to ‘wiz’ when he was 15- and wise he is. The kid released his first album, Show and Prove at 18 then signed with Warner Brothers in 2007. Most kids that age are still sitting on the couch playing Play Station 3, eating Cheetos and contemplating their next bong hit, but Khalifa knew he wanted to perform his entire life. His synth-heavy debut single, “Say Yeah,“ reached number 25 on the Billboard Rhythmic Top 40 music chart and number 20 on Billboard’s Hot Rap Tracks. Interestingly enough, fellow Pittsburgh artist, Girl Talk, sampled Khalifa’s “Say Yeah” on his last album, Feed the Animals. After releasing yet four more mix tapes in 2008 and 2009, Khalifa parted ways with Warner Brothers in July 2009 because of numerous delays releasing his planned debut, First Flight. Although it was a bold move, it was the best possible decision for him at the time because he was then able to dedicate himself fully to Rostrum Recordings, his original label. With influences like Camp Lo, Biggie Smalls, and Bone Thugs and Harmony, Khalifa’s style is heavily street-oriented with hard-hitting bass, solid raps and melodic hooks. His sophomore effort, Deal or No Deal was released last November and showcases his knack for clever word play and descriptive lyrics. Intensity is wrapped around every word he utters and there is no doubt he is speaking from the heart. With his up tempo beats, his potential for club bangers is unlimited although he should be careful not to get trapped into a formula where he eventually drowns with all the Lil’ Jons and Lil’ Waynes of the rap world. After his deal with Warner Brothers went sour, he pushed even harder.
“I learned a lot through that process. All the work you put in matters. Even when things are looking down, you have to work just as hard as when it’s going good,” he says.
And things are definitely looking good. Now officially signed to Atlantic Records, Khalifa is busy working on his next album while juggling a 50-date nationwide tour. He recently finished the “Super High” remix with superstar rapper Rick Ross and his sometime partner-in-crime, Curren$y. The buzz around his first Rostrum Recording/Atlantic Records offering, “Black and Yellow” is already receiving heavy radio play and he is planning on more collaborations with Ross.
“Lyrically, Rick Ross is tight. He’s one of those artists that is honest with his words,” Khalifa says. “That’s why we get along. All the stuff I write about is all stuff that I’ve seen personally or experienced on my own. It all goes together. It’s real life. I think I pick and chose wisely. For example, I wouldn‘t have Yelawolf on this tour if I didn‘t like him. That‘s my dude. He‘s chill as fuck.”
The kids are catching on to his authenticity. There is a whole online community dedicated to Wiz and his love of Chuck Taylor shoes called “The Taylor Gang.” They consistently blast the latest Wiz news, videos and mp3s with a fervor parallel to the 1960’s Beatle Mania.
“I think I truly connect with my fans. I just know how much I do for myself,” he says. “I put a lot into my projects and my determination is shown by how hard I go. “I’ve been wearing Chucks since I was a little, little kid. I couldn’t buy 80 or 90 dollar Air Force Ones,” he says. “The Taylor Gang just kind of made itself up. It represents being completely free and being comfortable being yourself.”
Khalifa seems to have no problems doing that. He is shown on stage more often than not smoking joints and drinking alcohol. While this has become rather stereotypical of mainstream rappers, there seems to be no shame in his game. When questioned about having any social responsibility to the youth of today, he was unfazed.
“I just tell them to do what they do. They know what’s right and what’s wrong. That’s on them. I personally think the state of mainstream rap is fine. I’m in it so it’s cool,” he adds with a laugh. “I don’t think it’s lost any substance. There’s different things in it for anyone to enjoy. I just get really high and perform. There‘s nothing wrong with that.”
Perhaps that “medical assistance” helps Khalifa deal with the pressure of being rap’s “next big thing.” The whirlwind circus of publicity, recording and touring that he is currently experiencing has left him pulled in every direction possible. It’s not uncommon to have 7 phone interviews, 3 radio appearances, 2 television stints and a sold-out show in one day. If he can keep up with the insane demands of being a major rap star, then Khalifa is looking at a bright future.
“I definitely just got to continue building on top of what I already have going on or at least maintain,” he says. “Music is my life so I basically I put everything I live and know into my music. The recognition I’m getting is great. Front cover of XXL? That’s enough for anyone.”
In addition to Yelawolf, Big K.R.I.T. is joining Khalifa on the Waken Baken tour which is his second headlining North American tour. “The Taylor Gang” president hits the Odgen Theater on October 7 where hoards of screaming fans are sure to be waiting.
“I love seeing all of the different cities and what the audiences react to or what they like. I perform with a lot of energy. It’s just a lot of fun for me and I think the audience sees that,“ he concludes. “The shows bring the music out of me. Music is my life. I put everything I live and know into my music.”

No comments:

Post a Comment